The college transition is exciting and challenging for students and their families. The DIRT Dad Fund is trying to make it a little bit easier for our DIRT family by offering the 1st Annual "The DIRT Effect" Scholarship.
The (2) two worthy $1,000 recipients will be the daughters or sons of DIRT Zwift Team members (that meet minimum standards for inclusion) who plan to, or currently attend, an accredited college, university, or technical school and display the spirit of “The DIRT Effect.”
If your son or daughter is interested in applying, please follow this link to the scholarship form.
The deadline is August 18th 2023! The decision will come on August 21, 2023!
Our Mission and Young History
The DIRT Dad Fund was founded on January 26, 2021, to assist the DIRT Zwift team and virtual cycling community. The DIRT Dad Fund received 501(c)3 recognition on May 18, 2021.
Mission Statement: To harness the power of “#TheDIRTEffect” in assisting to ‘take care of our own’ proud, less fortunate DADs experiencing life challenges that have caused financial hardship.
By allocating the proceeds of exclusive limited-edition DIRT merchandise sales to DIRT Dads and Moms in need, the DIRT Dad Fund has impacted the lives of the virtual cycling family.
First Zwift Grant Awarded to The DIRT Dad Fund
The inaugural Zwift Microgrant Program highlights the online cycling platform’s commitment to supporting its global community. Zwift’s People, Growth, and Impact team awarded five grants to worthy charitable organizations aligned with its social impact mission.
Recognizing its commitment to the virtual cycling community, the DIRT Zwift team-inspired organization received $5,000 and 20 complimentary Zwift accounts to further its mission.
Empowering Mobility: DIRT Dad Fund and Zwift Grant Team Up to Gift Adaptive Cycle to 4-Year-Old Battling Rare Disease
United for a Cause—DIRT Zwift Team Rallies to Raise $6,000 in 24 Hours to Create a Lasting Impact for a Member’s Family.
The bike has given Lucy a sense of independence and brought our family a new level of unity and shared experiences,” shares Lucy’s Dad and DIRT member Colin Kipping-Ruane.
Learn more about the overwhelming generosity of the virtual cycling community and read Colin’s inspiring speech here.
Highlights of 2022
Through the generous support of the DIRT community, the DIRT Dad Fund distributed $7,429 in financial aid in 2022 and a total of $11,409 since inception.
In the summer of 2022, the fund partnered with Pedal Industries to create a DIRT Dad Fund Store.
Pedal Industries is a US-based cycling outfitter offering a wide range of custom-designed kit and accessories. Pedal Industries fabricates everything in their California-based factory, allowing a zero minimum order on every item but socks and gloves. Item will ship to your door in 4 to 5 weeks, and the store never closes.
A significant portion of the sales goes directly to the DIRT Dad Fund, ensuring future stability, financial solvency, and a pathway to future legacy initiatives.
Your Generosity Has a Tremendous Impact, and This is only a small example!
- In May 2021, the fund helped the wife of DIRT Terrel Brown receive experimental ovarian cancer immunotherapy out of the country.
- In June 2021, the fund contributed to the memorial fund to support the family of DIRT Steven Pieper, who passed away when a motorist struck and killed him while riding his bike.
- In May 2022, the fund helped DIRT member Alex Johnson and his extraordinary son Zeke. Ezekiel was born with a rare congenital condition and required surgery to remove a mass in his lung.
- Also, in May 2022, the fund assisted Previvor MIRT Elise Mathieu in receiving diagnostic tests and preventative treatment to fight cancer proactively.
- Later that month, the fund assisted DIRT Kirk Hawks in paying for life-changing nerve graft surgery after a traumatic chainsaw accident.
- In June 2022, when DIRT Johnathan Freter‘s medical bills mounted following the tragic loss of their unborn child while vacationing out of the country, the fund helped provide financial support.
- In addition to sending countless Get Well care packages and Celebratory gifts to lift and enhance the community’s well-being!
Support The DIRT Dad Fund by visiting our store for high quality exclusive merchandise!
On behalf of The DIRT Dad Fund Committee, I’d like to extend our sincerest gratitude for the community’s generosity and support. The DIRT Dad Fund is nothing without you!
Semi-retired as owner and director of his private Orthopedic Physical Therapy practice after over 20 years, Chris is blessed with the freedom to pursue his passion for virtual cycling and writing. On a continual quest to give back to his bike for all the rewarding experiences and relationships it has provided him, he created a non-profit. Chris is committed to helping others with his bike through its work and the pages of his site.
In the summer of 2022, he rode 3,900 miles from San Francisco to New York to support the charity he founded, TheDIRTDadFund. His “Gain Cave” resides on the North Fork of Long Island, where he lives with his beautiful wife and is proud of his two independent children.
You will read him promoting his passion on the pages of Cycling Weekly, Cycling News, road.cc, Zwift Insider, Endurance.biz, and Bicycling. Chris is co-host of The Virtual Velo Podcast, too!